Athletic Therapy in Victoria B.C.
Our Victoria Certified Athletic Therapists provide care and management of sports and orthopedic injuries both in our clinic and on the sports field. Athletic therapy for injury care and treatment in the clinic is covered by some extended healthcare benefits. Our goal at Shelbourne Physiotherapy is to get you back to the active lifestyle you want promptly and safely. We understand that each person has specific needs and goals. Our one-on-one treatment approach provides immediate relief to musculoskeletal injuries.
Their specialized ability to blend traditional manual therapy and exercise-based rehabilitation makes Athletic Therapists effective in treating the musculoskeletal (muscles, bones, and joints) injuries whether on the field or in the clinic. Athletic Therapists treat a wide range of patients, from kids with concussions to seniors recovering from hip replacement surgery using various manual therapies, modalities such as Shockwave, ultrasound and interferential current (IFC), exercise prescription and even bracing and taping. The treatment may vary but the objective doesn’t: to help clients return to their usual activities.
- Acute and chronic injury management
- Integrated, custom, hands-on and active exercise based injury rehabilitation
- Corrective exercise training programs
- Return to sport training and reconditioning
Certified Athletic Therapists (A.T.) are highly skilled health care practitioners that provide immediate treatment to musculoskeletal injures and apply rehabilitation techniques to ensure a rapid return to work and play. A.T.'s employ a sports medicine model of rehabilitation to offer accelerated rehabilitation to physical injuries incurred from sports, recreation, daily activities or occupation.
- Managing injuries to muscle, ligaments, tendons and bones
- Treatment both in the clinic and providing first aid on the sports field
- Work Conditioning Programs
- ICBC Active exercise focused rehabilitation programs
- Postural and ergonomic analysis
- On-site emergency field coverage
The scope of practice of a Certified Athletic Therapist starts with the in-depth knowledge, education and training in the areas of the human musculoskeletal system, exercise physiology, biomechanics, and emergency care. There are many avenues in which Athletic Therapists can help rehabilitate clients, in both the prevention and treatment of injuries. (Some examples include post-operative and post-cast rehabilitation and muscle strengthening, joint replacement rehabilitation, chronic pain and low back pain, overuse/insidious type injuries, sport injuries, degenerative disk disease and disc herniations.)
The Athletic Therapists at Shelbourne Physiotherapy are also trained in the recognition and treatment of concussions and post-concussion symptoms. Our members are part of the Canadian Concussion Colaborative (CCC).
The mission of the Canadian Concussion Collaborative (CCC) is to create synergy between health organizations concerned with concussions to improve education about concussions, and the implementation of best practices for the prevention and management of concussions. The CCC is composed of members from the following organisations (in alphabetic order):
- The Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians (CAEP)
- The Canadian Academy of Sport and Exercise Medicine (CASEM)
- The Canadian Center for Ethics in Sports (CCES)
- The Canadian Medical Association (CMA)
- The Canadian Paediatric Society (CPS)
- The Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA)
- The College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC)
- The Ontario Medical Association Sport Medicine Section (OMA)
- Parachute (includes the former Think First)
- Canadian Athletic Therapists Association (CATA)
- Canadian Psychological Association (CPA)
- The Royal College of Chiropractic Sports Sciences (Canada) (RCCSS(C))
Athletic Therapy Assessment
- Diagnosing the mechanism of injury: whether it is a chronic pain, acute joint / muscle injury or illness / health related condition.
- Determining signs and symptoms of a concussion and what type of concussion the client is suffering from.
- Screening specific physical, orthopedic and posture conditions and addressing imbalances in the body that could lead to further injuries.
Athletic Therapy Treatment
- Engaging in rehabilitative therapy using both manual treatment skills as well as modalities (including electrical, thermal and manual therapies) to facilitate recovery, function and/or performance.
- Providing custom therapeutic conditioning exercises to aid in rehabilitation and reconditioning of injuries that targets your specific biomechanical issues to get patients back to their best selves.
- You will receive information and education to help you visualize and understand the significance of gait, stability and posture.
- Core conditioning exercises using Pilates Apparatus
Athletic Therapy Prevention
- Educating clients on injury risks specific to their jobs, lifestyles and hobbies and corrective actions associated with participation in fitness and sport programs.
- Sports specific warm up and conditioning programs.
- Workplace ergonomics assessment and recommendations for musculoskeletal injury prevention.
- Providing clients with home exercises to further aid in injury reconditioning and prevention.
- Provide taping to support injured muscles and joints in both sport and workplace settings.
- Sports Equipment selection, fitting and repair
An Athletic Therapist can treat musculoskeletal injuries, including:
- muscle strains
- ligament sprains
- low back or neck pain
- postural strain
- repetitive strain injuries
- fascial restrictions.
They provide rehabilitation for post-surgical patients, including: ACL reconstruction, fractures, shoulder dislocations, and arthroscopic surgery.
ABSOLUTELY NOT! Whether you work in an office, play on a team or are just a weekend warrior, we are all susceptible to injuries. Our Victoria Athletic Therapists treat a wide range of patients, from kids with concussions to seniors recovering from hip replacement surgery. The treatment varies but the objective does not: an Athletic Therapist’s goal is to help clients return to their usual activities. Athletic Therapy will assist you in quickly returning to work or play based on your individual needs.
FOR RAPID RETURN TO WORK AND PLAY AFTER AN INJURY, SEE A SHELBOURNE CERTIFIED ATHLETIC THERAPIST
Shelbourne Physiotherapy, Pilates & Massage is a locally owned health company with locations in beautiful Victoria & Saanich, British Columbia. Our clinics offer Physiotherapy, IMS (Intramuscular Stimulation) & Dry Needling, Kinesiology, Athletic Therapy, Exercise Rehabilitation, Massage Therapy, Sports Rehabilitation, Pelvic Floor Pilates Classes and Research, Post-Operative Rehabilitation, Vestibular, Dizziness & Balance Rehabilitation, Women's health (peri-partum and incontinence), Acupuncture, Victoria Dizziness Clinic, Scoliosis Treatment, Clinical Osteofit Classes, Osteoporosis Treatment, Victoria Pelvic Floor Clinic, Real Time Ultrasound, Arthritis and Osteoarthritis Treatment, Electrical Modalities, Pelvic Floor Physio, Pelvic Pain Physiotherapy, Incontinence Treatment, Thoracic Ring Approach Physiotherapy Treatment, Sports Physiotherapy, Chronic Pain Treatment, Shockwave Therapy (ESWT), Yoga, Yogalates, Saanich Physiotherapy, Polestar Pilates, Stott Pilates, Clinical Pilates, Scoliosis Treatment, Kinetic Link Training KLT and Custom Knee Bracing.
Our clinics are approved providers for WorksafeBC (WCB) Physiotherapy and ICBC Physiotherapy, Kinesiology & Rehabilitation. We are proud members of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA), the Canadian Academy of Manipulative Therapy(CAMPT), Sport Physiotherapy Canada, SportmedBC, British Columbia Association of Kinesiologists (BCAK), Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP), Vestibular Disorders Association, ISST International Schroth 3D Scoliosis Therapy, International Society for Medical Shockwave Treatment (ISMST), Think Local Victoria, Canadian Federation of Independent Business(CFIB), the Orthopaedic Division of the CPA and the Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia (PABC) We have a clinic located in Saanich
Shelbourne Physiotherapy staff provide clinical instruction at our Victoria Clinic for students in the UBC Faculty of Medicine. We are an accredited facility for UBC Dept. of Physical Therapy Student Practicums.
Our Saanich & Victoria Physiotherapy clinics are modern and provide a relaxed healing atmosphere with private rooms available. Many Physiotherapy clinics in Victoria work out of a single room or a basement that does not offer the equipment, resources or space to help you recover properly. Our convenient locations make our clinics easy to access from all the neighbourhoods of Victoria, Saanich, Esquimalt and Oak Bay such as Dockside Green, Fairfield, James Bay, Oaklands, Fernwood, Harris Green, Jubilee, Hillside Quadra, Gonzales, Rockland, Gordon Head, Cadboro Bay, Uplands, Downtown Victoria, Cordova Bay, Arbutus, Camosun College Lansdowne Campus and the Songhees. We offer appointment times ranging from 7:00AM to 7:00PM for your convenience. Our Multidisciplinary Health Clinic is located right across the street from the Hillside Shopping Centre. we share a building with the Shelbourne Medical Centre which has a walk in clinic and many great General Practitioners.
We are a friendly, local Victoria & Saanich owned and community based health company designed to meet your individual needs. Our mission is to provide Physiotherapy and related services to the communities of Victoria, Saanich, Oak Bay, Victoria West and Esquimalt and help keep these residents active and healthy. We strive to creatively and professionally maximize client functioning and promote life-long wellness.
Our experienced and dedicated evidence based Health Care Professionals include Victoria & Saanich Physiotherapists Penny Salmas, Jennifer Kolot, Mark Gottfried, Christine Carrat, Nicole Gill, Mohsen Mirzaie, Robyn Elliot, Holly Mallari, Elyse Nieuwold, Meena Sran, Phil Lawrence, Jessica Shave, Cody McEvay, Kathy Murdoch, Ruan Le Roux, Nina Bai, Kira Crover, Hilary Beck, Shannon Huff, Michael Richards and Blair Braz. Our experienced Victoria BC Kinesiologists include Larry Muir, Tegan Johnson, Heidi Nottelman, Our experienced Victoria & Saanich BC Registered Massage Therapists include Taryn Krizan, Selena Curvelo, Jennifer Koebernick, Kathy Pantalon, T'airah Bowker RMT, Molly Scott, Jessica Bundy RMT, Laura Jones and Rebekah Neubert. Our Victoria Athletic Therapists are Tegan Johnson and Cheryl Mah. Our Certified Victoria Pilates and Yoga Instructors include Chantelle Shah-Poulin, Lisa Hostman, Danielle O'Reilly, Stephanie Cadman & Chris Csak. Renowned Victoria Physiatrist Paul Winston practices at our clinic.