We offer aquatherapy in private and small group sessions run by experienced and Registered Kinesiologists and Physiotherapists at our Gordon Head Recreation Centre Clinic. Please call our Rehabilitation Coordinator at 250-595-5858 to find out more.
Hydrotherapy (water therapy) combines the benefits of a non weight bearing environment with the healing and relaxing properties of warm water. There are very few musculo-skeletal conditions that would not benefit from exercising in warm water. The buoyancy of the water allows you to perform movements and exercises that may be too difficult for you to perform on land. Painful joints are able to move through an increased range and weak muscles can be used more efficiently. Floats and bands can be used effectively to increase resistance and improve muscle strength.
Balance exercises can be performed with no risk of falling. Cardiovascular fitness can be improved. If you are partial or non weight bearing using crutches on land, exercising in water may allow you to start putting weight through your leg without pain or fear of falling.
Conditions suitable for hydrotherapy include:
- Back and neck pain
- Shoulder pain and stiffness
- Post op orthopaedic surgery
- Post op joint replacement (hip, knee, shoulder)
- Post op spinal surgery
- Sporting injuries rehabilitation
- Orthopedic injuries
- Total joint replacement (total knee replacements, total hip replacements, shoulder replacement surgery)
- Athletic Injuries
- Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Balance Disorders
- Pediatric Injuries (Fractures, sprains, strains and issues that reduce weight bearing capacity)
- Spinal Conditions (Herniated discs, degenerative disc disease, stenosis)
- Chronic pain
- Arthritis and Fibromyalgia
- Neuromuscular Disorders
- General strengthening, flexibility, fitness and balance retraining
Our Gordon Head Recreation Centre clinic offers hydrotherapy services in a pool supervised by a Registered Physiotherapist or Practicing Kinesiologist that is experienced in exercise prescription in water. Ideally you will be assessed by a Shelbourne Physiotherapist prior to referral to a hydrotherapy session and a program will be tailored to your individual needs.